92% of the world’s adult population uses email. Many people say that “email is dead”, but it really is one of the digital marketing channels that has the highest financial return.
A well-planned email marketing campaign helps people who are interested in your product or service stay informed with your business posts, move through the sales funnel, and be more prepared to make a purchase.
The email is used for multiple actions:
- Email marketing is used to generate leads and customers
- Optimize your strategy with the best tools and A/B tests
In this article we will show you how to use email correctly. This tool is very useful for generating business opportunities, or even knowing how to optimize an existing strategy. Therefore, it is important to use it correctly, and for this we are going to answer the question that usually arises in these cases: How can I respond to an email correctly so as not to disturb the rest of the recipients?
When to use “reply” and when to “reply all”
The reply option allows you to reply to an email to a single recipient, be it the original writer of the email or the last one who forwarded it. The reply to all option is ideal when you must reply to all the members of the mail chain. If you use this option, all recipients will receive the email whether they are in the To or CC field.
I recommend that you consider these questions when deciding whether to answer, or to answer all:
- Am I the primary recipient of the email?
- Is it necessary for more than one recipient to know what I answered in previous emails?
- Do the rest of the recipients expect or need to receive my response?
- Does email affect most of the members of the chain?
- Is it important and necessary that the rest of the recipients are still part of the chain?
If it is the case where you are the main recipient of the email, and only one person needs to know that you replied, or if you also know that the rest of the recipients do not expect to receive your reply, you should use the Reply option.
If, on the other hand, your response affects most of the members of the chain, or if the rest of the recipients need to receive your response, you should use Reply to all.
Some practical examples can be the following:
- If the boss sends an email to the entire department announcing a co-worker’s promotion, your congratulations should be send exclusively to your colleague with the reply option.
- If the CEO wants to announce a news to the employees, there is no need to Reply All. Or if you have a question or comment for the boss about that news, reply directly to him or send him a new email.
- In the event that you are working on a project with a number of employees, the Reply All option is useful. Everyone will be able to access the same information and stay on top of comments and updates at the same time.
- The Reply All feature is very useful when other recipients of an email may have questions similar to yours.
- The Reply All feature is also very useful in the event. That the boss asks the whole group for feedback on an email he just sent.
When to use “CC” and when to “BCC”
The CC option means “With Copy”, and allows you to send an email where any of the recipients will be able to see the addresses of the rest that appear in the CC field. In this case, if you use Reply All, you ensure that all recipients belonging to the CC field receive your message.
The BCC option means “Blind Copy”, and allows you to send an email where none of the recipients will be able to see the addresses of the rest that appear in the BCC field. In this case, if you use Reply All, you make sure that all recipients belonging to the BCC field receive your message. But that they do not receive subsequent emails in the chain.
This last option is very useful when a colleague introduces you to someone in an email. By placing your partner in BCC, you will be able to get in touch with the person. Who introduced you and in turn, they will know that you talked to them. In addition, the following emails that you cross with this new contact will not reach your colleague. Since having put him in BCC, he will be leave out of the following emails in the chain.
The different situations that can occur in a company become complicated in some cases. You have many doubts about who you should include, and who not in the following communications. By following the steps above and with the examples given. You should have no great difficulty in making the right choice.
If you want to be inform about the latest news and information about email marketing. Don’t hesitate to download our ebook “Email Marketing, The guide to creating successful campaigns”. In it you will find a detail description of everything you need to know to start an email marketing campaign. Generating leads and customers, building email lists. How to write really interesting emails that your recipients read, optimizing your strategies and A/B testing will be some of the topics cover in depth in this ebook.